Kildare College was opened in 1966 when the Brigidine Sisters accepted an invitation from the Archbishop of Adelaide, Bishop Matthew Beovich, to open a school for girls in the then newly growing North-Eastern suburbs. Classes commenced at the college with 32 students in February of that year with the official opening taking place on March 13 1966. The Brigidine Sisters lived at the college convent until the end of 1990. Kildare Education Ministries maintains responsibility for the wellbeing and governance of Kildare College, the only Brigidine school in South Australia.
The Kildare College crest reflects our origins and traditions. The crest includes two crosses, the gold Cross of St Brigid, based on the simple cross of reeds Brigid used and the large cross of diamonds taken from the badge of Bishop Daniel Delany. The lamp of learning in the centre of the badge represents the light of Christian faith and the light of learning. This lamp is a powerful symbol for us as a community of life-long learners, linked to St Brigid's original learning community in fifth century Ireland.
At Kildare, each student belongs to a house group. The names of the houses are significant to us as a Brigidine School.
Brigid - St Brigid, the patroness of the Brigidine Sisters
Chanel - Sister Chanel Gough, the first Australian to become the world leader of the Brigidine Sisters
Delany - Daniel Delany, the founder of the Brigidine Sisters
Kildare - the place in Ireland where St Brigid built her first monastery
Kildare takes its name from Kildare in Ireland, the site of St Brigid's first monastery. St Brigid lived in fifth century Ireland as a valiant, strong and gracious woman and prophetic leader. She revolutionised Irish society at the time by forming religious, learning communities of women.
The Brigidine Sisters were established in Ireland in 1807 by Dr Daniel Delany, Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin.